The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 11 2015 Warboys

Warboys Grace Baptist is one of those churches I've long been aware of but have never preached at until yesterday. I know the present minister (Nigel Graham) chiefly through LTS connections. I must be honest, I hadn't realised it is only and hour and a half away. I had a straightforward journey there and back and a very pleasant day with some lovely people.
The church has quite ancient roots and the present building (a former Methodist church) goes back to 1830. Like ourselves they've had the building gutted and put in chairs rather than pews. They have also had a false ceiling put in where the three-sided gallery was and it looks very attractive. The church has a graveyard (as did the church I grew up going to). The congregation was a little diverse and it was good to meet folk old and new, very local and from elsewhere, able and less able, young and old, committed and considering. Like ourselves they were around fifty in the morning and twenty in the evening.
I preached in the morning from 2 Chronicles 33 on Manasseh (and spoke to the children about their consciences) and in the evening our own new year text, which is 1 John 2:15 (and including verses 16 and 17). In the afternoon, after very pleasant hospitality from the Grahams (tracing mutual connections - always good fun - among other things) we had tea at the church and Nigel took the opportunity to interview me so that those present got to know me a bit. (I hope what I said made sense - we covered a fairly wide range of things and I do have a way of putting things that can easily be misconstrued). Tim Curnow was preaching here for me. I'm sure I should have got someone to interview him at our tea.

No comments: