The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 19 2015



It was one of those red letter days yesterday when I baptised my fourth son and the daughter of two Nigerian members of the church. We started the day with a Bitesize Theology lesson on regeneration. I then preached on 1 Corinthians 15:29-32, which are difficult verses but I think we made some progress. It was good to have someone there who has not been in for a while and a member currently in Nigeria visiting. The baptisms were in the evening and it was gratifying to see the congregation greatly swollen by numerous family and friends of both candidates. One of our elderly members who rarely makes it was also present, which was good. I preached from Acts 16 on Lydia and the Jailer. Before the baptisms the two young people spoke, seeking to explain how they had come to this point in their lives. The baptisms themselves, as ever, were very brief, over in a moment. This last week or so has been a good one for me. Speaking at the Banner on Monday was a great honour. The next day was the first anniversary of my heart op and a cause for much thanksgiving. On Thursday my father-in-law gave the closing address at Banner and they asked my eldest son to read and pray, which he did well. It was around this time some 43 years ago that I first came to know the Lord. How very good God has been.

1 comment:

Kath Bilton said...

Praise the Lord! Kath and Howard Bilton