The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day July 12 2015

We had a gratifyingly full church Sunday morning and a decent number Sunday evening too. I preached on Psalm 103 in the morning. It is a wonderful psalm of praise and sort of preaches itself, if you know what I mean. We had a few visitors, including and Iranian man I'd never met before. All our student types are back too now before they scatter to the four winds on camps and beach missions, etc. It was good to have Liz Rajo and her children with us from Madagascar. I did a little interview with her over tea in the afternoon just to update us all on the needs there. I preached in the evening on false prophets and true, a warning message. Preaching is not easy. I found myself wondering at the end of the day if there was enough of Christ in it all. It's easy to miss the main thing.

No comments: