The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Measure for Measure

Saw Measure for Measure at the Globe this week. Perfect weather for it. I believe this is the only Shakespeare title that makes an allusion to a Bible verse (see Matthew 7:1). I think it is this play that I wrote an essay on once disagreeing with the statement that there is a silvery undertone of sadness in the play (I can only think I did that as it is easier to argue against something rather than for it - I find anyway). In that it ends well this is a comedy but there is plenty of tragedy and some fine speeches. The play explores a number of issues very well. This production began by trying to give us the feel of a decadent Vienna, preparing the way for Angelo's deputyship. It was all done very well. Lucio (Brendan O'Hea) enjoyed his dream comedy part and Isabella (Mariah Gale) got so into her part she was able to cry real tears at the right moments.

No comments: