The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day July 5 2015

I was a little anxious yesterday after the difficulties of the week before but I was looking to the Lord and was greatly helped. We began with communion as we do on the first Lord's Day of the month. I preached in the morning on another psalm, on Psalm 130. What a great Pauline psalm. In the evening we came to the narrow gate and road of Matthew 7 and it was helpful in both services to have visitors of various sorts in though it is always disconcerting when (as happened yesterday) someone comes in then goes out shortly after. It is someone I know at least. The other strange thing yesterday was that a man came in to the evening service. He was a Welshman who claimed to have acted in the West End with Judy Dench et al. He asked if he could sing to the congregation at the end in Welsh. I said he could sing to my family (who made up a quarter of the congregation I guess). He then sang this cod-Welsh folk song very dramatically (cariad was the only bona fide Welsh word any of us could understand). He had a good voice but the experience was a little bizarre. He also left a calling card, which thanks to vinyl chairs and an observant church member was quickly dealt with using disinfectant. It was a day for stranger folk really. A local character turned up outside the church with a cigarette in one hand and can of Holsten Pils in the other assuring me he would be paying me back Tuesday. He also said that Chelsea (he's a big fan) would be playing their first game next season against Swansea. Good to know. One just hopes those who did hear the Word are saved. Praying before preaching can be hard, praying after even more so.

No comments: