The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 11 2015

Somehow, this Sunday seemed to go better than the week before. Not sure why. We started with a Bitesize Theology Class on Adoption.  A decent number turned up. it's a fairly straightforward doctrine and one that Christians instinctively sense is right. Just before we finished a man turned up who we'd never met. From the moment he told me that he was not asking for money I knew that he was asking for money. He said his name was George and that he came from Moldova. Anyway I listened to his story which, as is often the case, was rather convoluted but boiled down to the need for money. Anyway, I wasn't convinced and I told him frankly there was no money and so he decided to move on. Subsequent enquiry suggests he was a conman.
Anyway such things can be disconcerting but a speedy resolution meant that I was not distracted for the morning meeting where we looked at the church of Pergamum from Revelation 2. A good number were present though some were missing as ever. In the afternoon we had tea together. We tend not to make best use of these opportunities but this time we had a brief review of biographies available in our little library and some reports from meetings in other churches the day before. I then preached on the Song of Deborah to a decent sized evening congregation. A good day, I hope.

No comments: