The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 18 2016

Yesterday was a little different as we have had our gas turned off following a leak somewhere in the system, as yet undetected. This necessitated retreating into the much smaller parlour beyond the chapel, which we managed to heat with electric heaters (that almost inevitably overloaded the system at some point). It is good that we had an alternative place to go, although being unfamiliar and a little cooler than normal we were a little distracted.
There were a few visitors of different sorts. We were very international once again with people present from Holland, Turkey, Iran (including a new visitor), the West Indies, the Philippines (including someone who has not been for a while), Nigeria and Tanzania. When I got home there was a Farsi Bible on the doorstep so I nipped back and passed it on to one of our Iranian friends.
I preached from Revelation 8 in the morning and Judges 13 in the evening. I didn't really feel I had hold of things quite enough, probably due to a lack of preparation, I guess. We had communion before the evening meeting.
Such days cast you on the Lord and that is for the best.

No comments: