The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 24 2016

A little late with this as I have been away. The gas leak saga continued but by last Lord's Day they had been able to restore a gas supply to the flat between the chapel and the hall and the hall so we met in the hall. The hall is a little tatty but it served us quite well. The Sunday School met back in the parlour with (a little inadequate) electric heat. We brought hot drinks through to the hall after the meeting. We had good congregations morning and evening. Some were missing as ever but there were visitors including two new people, a Romanian man and a Nigerian woman. I hope we see them again. We must pray. Sunday School must have reached double figures as a girl who lives locally brought her two friends who were with her on sleep over and we had the two Tanzanian children around for their last Sunday, as well as the more regular six or seven who come most weeks.
I preached from Revelation 9 in the morning - not an easy passage to preach but I sought to drive home the message of repentance as best I could. In the evening we carried on with Samson. Lots of insights into the structure from good old D Ralph Davies. We had a prayer meeting about our currently non-existent children's work before the evening meeting.
After church I drove to Cwmbran as I planned to be in Swansea the next day. I arrived at my sister's around 11 pm.

No comments: