There was a good turn out last night with 15 present. We looked at the next two verses in 2 Timothy 1 and considered not being ashamed of the gospel, suffering and holiness - all vital subjects. There was a lot to pray for, including our ongoing problem with the gas leak. We hope it will be fixed by next Lord's Day. I took opportunity to summarise a lengthy definition of holiness J C Ryle once gave
1. Holiness is the habit of agreeing with the mind of God, in accordance as we find his mind described in Scripture.
2. A holy person will endeavour to turn away from every known sin, and to keep every known commandment.
3. A holy person will strive to be like our Lord Jesus Christ.
4. A holy person will pursue certain things
- meekness, endurance, gentleness, patience, kindness and control of their tongue
- self-control and self-denial
- love and brotherly kindness
- a spirit of mercy and benevolence towards others
- purity of heart, the fear of God
- humility, faithfulness in all the duties and relationships in life
- Last, but not least, spiritual mindedness