The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, May 22 2015

It was my birthday Sunday so I decided to preach a birthday sermon in the morning. I preached from 2 Corinthians 4:5. about not preaching ourselves but preaching Christ as Lord. In the evening we carried on in Mat8 and looked at two principles of discipleship. We were pretty low in numbers morning and evening. People were travelling elsewhere, ill, busy or (as is increasingly the case among unbelievers) working. There were no new faces either which is fairly unusual for us. No-one responded to the tracts we gave out the day before (which is more typical). So it was a little flat I'd say. You never know what happens on those Sundays, however.

No comments: