The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 6 2016

We began with communion last Sunday and then I preached another sermon on the judgement - the judgement of the righteous. Perhaps we should be preaching more on such themes. We were a little low in numbers but again there were two new people - a Southe African lady working as a carer in the area and a Ghanaian lady who normally goes to church in Harlesden but lives near us. Another birthday celebration to follow. A new member has just turned 21. In the evening I preached on humility and putting pride to death - always easier to preach than to act on. I had a slight end of term feeling, although I am speaking on Wednesday before heading off for me hols.

No comments: