The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 5 2017


It was a case of the Monday blues again yesterday - not for any particular reason though I could list several factors that might have played their part (one is missing having a fellow elder). Anyway, I just got on with things and wated for it to lift, which it di gradually at first and then particuallry with the wings of a verse of Scripture. I have been reading through Psalm 119 recently a stanza at a time and yesterday I came to the last verse - I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands. It seemed to me that fitted my mood perfectly and I was thankful to have come to it again. 
We began the Lord's Day with communion and we also welcomed in a new member. This is the lady I baptised back in the summer but she has been in Turkey a good deal since then. She was telling us how she had recently visited Ephesus and had loved seeing the site of Paul's labours and those of John whose tomb is said to be there. I hope to baptise someone else next week.
I carrie don in Acts in the morning looking at the healing of Aeneas and then in the evening we were in Matthew 15 again and talking about the Canaanite woman who Jesus was so stern with, not an easy passage in many ways. Several were away for several reasons. Some I wonder f we willever seeagain. Where are they? I felt both sermons lacked something. Prayer is so important.

No comments: