The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting November 15 2017


I am in Nigeria next week speaking at a conference and so I tried out half of one of the papers I am to give on those gathered last night. The subject I have been given is How the Reformation affected England then, a lesson for Nigerian churches today not an easy subject to tackle. What I have done is to select a number of works (Tyndale's Bible, Cranmers BCP, Foxe's Martyrs, the Westminster Standards, Bunyan's PP) and describe them leading to five recommendations for Nigerian churches today. We just focussed on focussing on the Bible an worshipping reverendly last night. We had a good prayer time too. Several in our congregation are unwell at present with various underlying ailments.

No comments: