The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 4 2018


We began with communion. I read from the wrong place - Acts 4 instead of Acts 2. Thankfully, it was a short reading. Once again we were rather few in the evening (10 at most) when we looked at the transfiguration. I'm sure this cold weather doesn't help. Things were much better in the morning, although we took a long time to gather, as ever. The good news was that our Spanish speaking couple (from Colombia it turns out) returned as did a Korean (I think) lady who I did not get to speak to this week or last. One or two ill. Several away (some ill) as well as non-returners yet again. I preached in the morning from the end of Acts 12 on Herod. Another thing not recommended is that I announced a date ony to be told by my wife I wouldn't be around on that day. Having learned nothing in 30 odd years I asked her whereI would be  - all this in public. In the evening my mic man Mike forgot the mic and had to go home and get it. How do we survive?

No comments: