The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Every Day Untruths




There are several things that people commonly say that are not strictly true

1. I never touch drugs (really means unless I'm sick and oh yeah the caffeine)
2. I'm not on a diet (really means you would find it difficult to write down my diet)
3. I never exercise (apart from getting up and moving about and even running on rare occasions)
4. I never sleep (though I do go to bed and wake in the morning)
5. I don't work (unless you count washing dishes and clothes and cleaning, etc)
6. I don't drink (unless you count non-alcoholic items)
7. I don't read (although I can read and do look at newspapers and magazines)
8. I have read the terms and agree (really means I've not read the terms but I hope it'll be okay)
9. (Children) I'm not tired (really means I don't want to go to bed)
10. Parents) We'll see (really means I can't deal with this now, I can't see it happening)

No comments: