The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Blog of the Week 5



Benjamin Beddome 1717-1795

A Baptist there was, name of Beddome
He wrote down his sermons then said 'em
He also spent time
on Christian rhyme
They're good - I should know cos I've read 'em.

Benjamin Beddome
A saved Son of Adam
For 55 years preached in Bourton,
The blast from his trump not uncertain.




This is one of my biggest blogs. I began it in 2007. It can be found hereThere are over 400 posts there at present and there have been over 80,000 hits. It collates material concerning the 18th century  Particular Baptist Benjamin Beddome. The blog has been the means of putting me in touch with more than one person I would not have known otherwise and in part led to my contribution to a book on Beddome that came out a short while ago.
Most popular post on the blog is Beddome's hymn on the mercy seat. You can find it here.

No comments: