The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

And another five books

 

I like the idea of noting my reading fiive books at a time. So here goes again. I think I've mentioned Breeze from heaven by Eryl Davies, which is really worth reading if you are Welsh. It tries to give some idea of the blessing there has been on several churches since the forties. Inevitably it is selective and some of the omissions seem glaring to me but in its effort to inform, to invite biblical thinking and to inspire prayer  it is excellent. I also mentioned the two books on the Lord's Supper before, so need to say more there. (They are by Robert Letham and Michael Haykin). The one on fake history (which I read on kindle) by Otto English is a debunking exercise, attacking some of the ways history is related in quite a romantic and inaccurate way. Most of it I was familiar with (ancient people didn't think the earth was flat, Abraham Lincoln was not all he is cracked up to be by some, Hitler's articitic skills, the story of curry - although I had some of that worng, etc). Great story telling. I have now started on his second similar volume. I also bought and read Misconceptions a similar but shorter book by Tim Rayborn unveiling misconceptions such as some found in English's book and lots of others. I will do some ten lists from it soon. (I bought that last book from a shop in Golders Green. I had complained to the owner about a prominently displayed item with a swear word on it and he had reacted positively and so I wanted to buy something.)

No comments: