The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

And yet another five


The latest five books I have read have mostly been overtly Christian books but also the hardback tome Fake Heroes by Otto English, the follow up to Fake Histories. This one looks at Kennedy, Che Guevara, Mother Theresa, John Wayne, etc. I have also read the encouraging and hopeful A change of affection by Becket Cook, the former homosexual; Sinclair Ferguson's Worthy which contains a lot of material that we understandably heard recently at Catalyst and is great stuff (although I do think he has things wrong with regard to Joseph, like so many others); the little book by Kevin DeYoung Do not be true to yourself which also contains four other graduation addresses or similar. Nice; and finally Pastoral Friendship by Michael Haykin, Brian Croft and James Carroll. I have decided I am not keen on books with multiple authorship. Part of the problem here was the way the book was written but also my own curmudgeonly attitudes. My retort would be that if the book, which wants pastors to make more friendships doesn't win over people like me than it won't do any good. I feel that a book that encouraged friendliness (rather than making friends) would have been better.

No comments: