The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 13 2023


I was preaching last Lord's Day in Penuel Baptist Chapel, Roch. I have never preached there before but two long serving members have moved to Pembrokeshire and become members there and so I was given the opportunity. The chapel is compact and holds less than 80 I would guess. It was pretty full last Sunday as lots of holidaymakers had come in, in the morning, including a family I know from North Wales, the new minister at West Kilburn and his family, a family from Childs Hill, a couple who know my sister and several others. I preached on three groans from Romans 8 in the morning. The later 4 o'clock service was smaller and more informal with no hymns. I preached on Zechariah 3:2 and then we had a useful discussion. One feature of the day was that on a campsite near the chapel which we passed a car had speeded into a tent the night before and caused injuries, an item covered on natonal news.



No comments: