The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 24 2023


It was quite an unusual day in Childs Hill last Loed's Day. First I was not preaching in the morning. My assistant Eddie Webster preached on Haggai 1, the beginning of a new series. God stuff. Then in the afternoon the Korean church that meets in our building in the afternoons had arranged a concert featuring the flautist Michelle Choi. We were warmly invited and so a number of us went. I love the flute and this was music of the highest quality. She is a very sincere Christian and she took opportunity to speak of Robert Jermain Thomas and faith in Christ before playing (disarmed me rather as I'm ambivalent about Sunday afternoon concerts). We were sumptuously fed afterwards with good Korean food. Then in the evening I preached on 1 John 2:12-14. We just crept up to double figures in the evening and we were around 40 in the morning. Good day.

No comments: