The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 8 2023


It was good to be back preaching morning and evening last Lord's Day. n the morning I preached a harvest sermon from Hosea 10:12. I like to take a harvest text once a year at this time. One odd thing in the morning is that a woman came in part way through the sermon and having prayed a few moments and crossed herself she left. For some reason I decided to tell her that would do no good, religion is not the answer.  Of course, most of the congregation did not know who I was addressing and so it was not perhaps the best approach. In the evening we went back to Job, looking at Chapters 32 and 33 where Elihu begins to speak. I used Christopher Ash's commentary to modify what I had prepared earlier. We were about 12 in the evening. An unbaptised lady we are getting to know came morning and evening, which was encouraging. We also had an Iranian couple along in the morning who have spent a lot of time sidetracked by Christadelphianism. There were others missing due to illness and other reasons,which was more discouragiing.

No comments: