The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

South Wales once more


For the third week running I've been to South Wales, as my father is still in hospital, recovering from a gall bladder op. Eleri and 4 of the boys were going that way anyway and I was able to get a cheap bus back. So to my very hospitable sister-in-law's house in Cardiff first. The kids have never seen so much of Uncle Gary - poor things. For breakfast Tomos likes his weetabix with milk (llaeth cf Fr lait) and honey (mel cf Fr miel) so I took opportunity to speak to mention Y wlad yr addewid (Promised Land) and how it's described - Gwlad llaeth a mel (dim llaeth a mel a weetabix, wrth gwrs).
We arrived Monday night. The Llangrannog crew left early next morning. I headed into town through the rain a little later. I spent half the morning in Cardiff, reading and praying and wandering then went to Newport by train (more expensive than bus but twice as quick). I'd not realised that in both places train announcements are in Welsh first then English. I don't know how long they've done that. I was a student in Cardiff Uni one year (PGCE) so I know the place a little. Newport I know better. I was born there and it's my parents' home town.
In Cardiff there was some nostalgia - the hop smell from Brains brewery, the castle, arcades, etc. There was more in Newport which I know better (transporter bridge, market, etc). Both are more multi-cultural than I remember them. I met a Tamil in MacDonalds. 'Are you a Christian?' I said (trying to witness in a subtle way). 'No, Hindu' he said. I said, there are a lot of Baptists in Tamil Nadhu. He said he was brought up in Dubai. 'Oh' I said 'not many Christians there'. We try. I met a Nigerian woman and her 3 year old (Ini) on the bus. New to Newport she was still trying to find a church. Though critical of African/Nigerian churches she seemed determined to go to one even if it means travelling to Cardiff. I spoke about the importance of seriousness and daily Bible reading.
Both cities are pretty homogenised as regards retail outlets though it was nice to see in Newport that places like Wildings, Henry Cordy, Maskreys, C Marks (electrical goods) are still there. I noticed that both cities have joke shops. Is that standard or does it tell me something?
Newport has a new footbridge (May 2006) over the Usk near the bus station. I heard a man saying how they brought the world's biggest crane on 14 "artics" (articulated lorries) to put the supports in place. Hearing local accents again was a joy. That word "artic" (is it local?) I like in particular. Two or three uncles were lorry drivers and they'd refer to their wagons and artics. Nobody explained to me so I got the idea that an artic was a refrigerated lorry (arctic?)!!
I also enjoyed going into Newport market. It's been spruced up but is still the same basic structure. When I got the bus to the Royal Gwent hospital it took us via St Woolos hospital, which is where I was born (no blue plaque yet), which was nice.
I enjoyed just wandering around the cities. In Cardiff I just looked at shops, including the EMW Christian Bookshop, Wyndham Arcade. I wanted to buy something but the only book that took my fancy (Tom Nettles on Baptist history) was a little expensive. In Newport I bought 2 coffee table books for the boys (Natural Wonders of the world and 501 Must Reads) and a biography of Burt Bacharach for 49p. I used a book token on a biography of W H Davies in the Merlin Bookshop. I got into conversation with a man there about Gareth Pearson. He thought he was a copycat of some other guitarist. Opinions.
In Newport I spent an hour in the museum, which was quite interesting - Roman stuff then the Chartists and more recent history. The only evidence for Christianity in the first period is a "chai rho" scratched on the bottom of a jar. How it was spotted even amazes me. As for more recent times there was a display of Boys Brigade stuff and similar. Not much else to say, sadly. I had a chat with the attendant after about various things. The Queen's visit to Newport came up and he showed me a picture at the station. He said it was 1962. I've just checked - it was October 26, 1962. She came to open the Spencer Steel Works. I remember it well. I held a little plastic union jack to wave. She wore green. I didn't notice Prince Philip. I was born May 22, 1959 so was only 3 yrs 5 mths, which surprises me. It's one of my earliest memories - not that I've thought of it in years. I think it's the combination of anticipation plus the disappointment that she wore no crown.
Anyway, my dad seemed well. We read the Bible again and I prayed. My dad was at his most sympathetic to my faith but still holds out against turning to Christ. I then walked to the bus station to wait for the coach. They were pumping out Pachelbel and Vivaldi on a loop, which was a little odd. The bus had started in Cardiff so was chock full. I took the only available seat next to a woman with a book on Jinns in her hand. We soon fell into conversation and chatted more or less non-stop Newport to Golders Green. A BBC Wales journalist, she was a keen but ecumenically minded Muslim. I learned a lot and hopefully said something worthwhile. It was interesting that when (as politely as I could) I explained what we think of their prophet, it became apparent she'd not realised that her calling Jesus a prophet and a great man is equally offensive to us.

No comments: