The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Songs about life on the road


1. London – Thea Gilmore
(The hotel is just like yesterday's/And the city has no name/It just stands there in a grey haze/And my room is the same.)
2. Lodi - Creedence Clearwater Revival
(If I only had a dollar for every song I've sung/And every time I've had to play while people sat there drunk/You know I'd catch the next train back to where I live)
3. Homeward Bound – Simon and Garfunkel
(Each town looks the same to me/The movies and the factories/And every stranger's face I see/Reminds me that I long to be/Homeward bound)
4. Lonely hearts – Horslips
(Night has fallen again/And I hardly even saw the day/I just got out of bed/And somebody said/We're leaving right away./So I grabbed a cup of coffee/And made a bee-line for the door/As we drove through the night I could see the city lights/In the distance once more)
5. Super Trouper – ABBA
(I was sick and tired of everything/When I called you last night from Glasgow/All I do is eat and sleep and sing/Wishing every show was the last show)
6. I'm only sleeping - The Beatles
(Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me/Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping/Everybody seems to think I'm lazy/I don't mind, I think they're crazy)
7. The road – The Kinks
(If you play in a band that's the road that you take/Living in it, eating in it, sleeping in it/You wake up in the morning, what do you see?/The road)
8. All the way from Memphis – Mott the Hoople
(Yeah it's a mighty long way down rock'n'roll/From the Liverpool docks to the Hollywood Bowl/'N you climb up the mountains 'n you fall down the holes)
9. Radar Love – Golden Earring
(I’ve been drivin‘ all night my hand’s wet on the wheel/There’s a voice in my head that drives my heel/And my baby calls that she needs me here/It’s half past four and I’m shifting gear)
10. On the road again – Canned Heat
(Well, I'm so tired of crying/But I'm out on the road again/I'm on the road again.)

1 comment:

Keira said...

I don’t even know the way I finished up right here, however I assumed this publish was great. I do not realize who you are but definitely you are going to a well-known blogger in case you are not already. Cheers!