The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day July 8 2012

Carried on with my series on Ultimate Realities yesterday, looking at angels from Revelation 4. I felt a bit sluggish and thought I could have tried to say more. We finally finished looking at the 118 questions of the Baptist Catechism.
Once a month we have tea together before the evening meeting so that was on yesterday. We have decided to try and highlight some books for sale once a month too so (having stocked up at Met tab and at the Library lecture on Monday) I did that and sold 3 books - Joel Beeke's little book on prayer, the EP bitesize biography of Schaeffer by Mostyn Roberts and an old copy of Spurgeon's Letters. (Couldn't shift Calhoun on Princeton).
We were quite few by the evening but I looked at the last bit of Numbers 15 on stoning Sabbath breakers and wearing tassels and was quite lively. We sang I need Thee Oh I need Thee which we very rarely sing.

1 comment:

Mostyn Roberts said...

Glad to see you are selling some good books Gary. And mine too.

Had a lovely day with Ian, Catrin and Osian on Sunday - I was preaching at Bradford on Avon and spent the day with them, so I heard about the Saturday celebrations.

Mostyn.