The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting November 5 2014

The fireworks outside were not too disturbing and we had a good time together. We were 12 again plus me, although we could have been more - six men, six women, six under 30 and six over, I guess. We carried on with Philippians, looking at 1:6-11 and talking about confidence in each other and praying for each other. I really feel at this stage that I am getting it grips with Paul's letters. For a long time it has seemed to me that the various letters are quite distinct but as I keep going over them I have begun to see that the same man is clearly behind them all and he has the same concerns always but expresses himself in different ways in different circumstances. We seemed to have a tone of things to pray for and made good progress on some of the items.

No comments: