The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Akkerman in Chester






I'm just back from a 400 mile round trip to Chester - a birthday treat. I left Monday afternoon by car to meet up with lifelong friend Chris and see the Jan Akkerman Band in Alexanders Jazz Club. We arrive in good time to be near the front of the queue when the doors open at 8 pm. The band who I know a little bit mingle with the punters - not more than a hundred all told I guess so there's plenty of chance to chat. Wilibrand's a friendly young man. I remind him of a well known Dutch novelist he told me once. Jan's very willing to listen to the prattle of fans like me and their endless questions. He tells me he got his first sitar at 13 (and a sarod, I think, or was it a santoor). I mention the present Focus. He complains that Van Leer uses riffs from their old demo tapes. He obviously keeps up with what they do a little. We talk about his RSI. I try to get onto spiritual matters but it's not easy. We agree we are sinners, which is a start.
There's no smoking inside Alexanders now so that was pleasant. Jan coped. I like the venue but a constant background buzz somewhere in the system that could not be rectified spoiled things just a little.
The concert itself began around 9.30 pm with 40 minutes mostly of rock (which surprised me a little). They did 'I'm in the mood' (from CU) and then 4 old Focus numbers in a pretty brief and seventies style (A?Q!Q?A!, Focus 2, Anonymous, a very eastern House of the King), finishing off with Tranquiliser and the Paul Weller number.
After a half hour break they launched into a more jazzy hour beginning with "Wheatstalker", some blues (Blues route with dance the blues away) and Slowman. We then had the obligatory Hocus Pocus and Sylvia (or Sylvia's grandmother to be more accurate) with lots of tremelo arm. Superlative stuff. For an encore they did Urban String now subtitled "More air for a G-string" that included a tremendous drum solo from Marijn with a tape loop backing him and a very interesting variation on the theme.
It was all over by midnight and after thank yous, autographs on the new CD they were flogging and a quick photo, Chris and I headed for Pentre Halcyn and bed. Chris works for the N Wales Constabulary, is church secretary at Mold Evangelical and a great guy. We're quite similar, especially in our love for music and it's wonderful to be able to speak so openly about so many things with another human being. I admire how he faithfully visits a faithful old minister we've known since boyhood days. The dear man believes he probably only has about a year to live on this earth. He's not had an easy pilgrimage.
So home today to London. The band are here on Friday but that's our night for children and young people's work so I won't get to see them. Ah well.

No comments: