The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Grace Assembly 07 Pt 1


It was my privilege to be at the Grace Assembly in High Leigh near Hoddesdon in Hertfrodshire last week. I must confess that I was not over looking forward to it as I've been away quite a bit recently and the numbers attending were lower than expected and it was my duty to lead a business session half way through, a session that has been criticised in the past some (understandably) disliking my muddle through style of approach.
Anyway my father-in-law, Geoff Thomas kicked us off with an appropriate and gentle introductory sermon drawn from Romans 16. After a break in the sunshine and a chance to chat, this was followed by a reports session. This is always a good feature in the programme. Martin Leech spoke about London and Palma, Mallorca, where there has been something of a spurt due chiefly to people coming in from elsewhere. Andrew Murray spoke about the work in Soho and Covent Garden, including the recent baptism. To know of someone slogging away faithfully in a difficult situation can be a real tonic. Different again was the report from Keith Johns at Caterham where over the 24 years, with baptisms practically every year, they have seen steady but sure growth. I've been at Childs Hill about the same length of time and we have seen less growth (barely a baptism a year and lots of barren patches) so I was particularly impressed by Keith's eagerness to give the glory to God and stress that they had done nothing out of the ordinary. Encouraging.
In the evening session Conrad Mbewe from Lusaka, Zambia spoke from Matthew 5 on switching on the light. This was straight preaching of the old fashioned sort and good to hear. There was a late evening session with Mike Judge from Christian Institute but I confess that I headed to bed before that feeling rather tired. At least it meant I was able to be up for the prayer meeting the next morning.
The Thursday morning was divided between Nigel Lacey now in East London speaking (as a Baptist) on the importance of baptism and Robert Oliver, Bradford on Avon, on the importance of being a confessional church and yet uniting with others. it was clear from discussion that these topics were appreciated. There are few fora where such matters can be freely discussed.
By now I was feeling a lot less discouraged and looking forward (almost) to the rest of the time.
More to follow.

No comments: