The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

LTS

It was my privilege to preach this morning at London Theological Seminary. Preaching is always a privilege and especially to future ministers. I took up the theme of Christian freedom again. I excised most of my appeals to unbelievers in light of the audience and, in the light of a comment I read recently, sought to emphasise my text (John 8:36) more. I know many of the students one way or another and felt very much at home there. It is a matter of concern that there are no new UK students for next year at present. LTS is not flavour of the month at present. I've preached there once or twice before. I'm one of the nearest ex-students. We began with a hymn by Andrew King another ex-student. He's in Brazil - may be the farthest away.

No comments: