The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Disabled musicians


Putting aside the question of how my mind works for a moment, having made a list of blind musicians recently I thought we might have one of deaf ones. Unsurprisingly there are far fewer. The percussionist Evelyn Glennie and perhaps Beethoven are the only real contenders. Or have I missed someone?

As for the one armed there is Paul Wittgenstein (brother of the philosopher) and Rick Allen the drummer with Def Leppard. Any more?
Fascinating videos here and here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spent a great evening with Evelyn Glennie once after a concert she had given. A truly remarkable musician who uses the soles of her feet to feel the vibrations of the music. She is also a fantastic lip reader! She even managed to lip read my Estuary English.

Gary Brady said...

Fascinating tidbit. I still can't get my head round the whole idea.