The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Summer Reading 04

A large chunk of reading time this summer went on J Gresham Machen.
Dr Nichols had us read his own introductory book which I already had and started to re-read but lost somewhere in Wales (had to borrow my father-in-law's copy). From Machen's own works he selected for us to read Christianity and liberalism (online here), some sermons from God Transcendent and some essays from the Selected Shorter Writings edited by Daryl Hart.
The supplementary works were The Modernist Impulse in American Protestantism by William R Hutchison, which I found quite hard going as I was unfamiliar with most of the names in it - and there are lots. It is basically a history of liberalism from the 1880s-1930s and so although a relatively small part deals with Machen it gives important background which I found useful. Much easier to read and more obviously relevant was The Presbyterian Controversy by Bradley J Longfield which looks not only at machen but Bryan, Coffin, McCartney, Erdman and Speer too.
There is quite a lot of Machen online and I have tried to collate what is available here.

No comments: