The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Down Town


I wanted to put this clip up as soon as I saw it on TV but it wasn't on youtube at first. Good fun if, like me, you find the mixture of high brow and low brow irresistibly amusing (BTW it's the key to Monty Python).

2 comments:

Alan said...

What is "Lost in Austen" ?

Are you familiar with Jasper Fforde's books, like 'The Eyre Affair' ?

Gary Brady said...

"LinA" is a recently completed ITV series where a modern day fan travels back in time (?) to the novel. I am a big JA fan (Austen this time - usually Akkerman) but I didn't expect to like it yet somehow I did. Presumably JFf does soemthing similar in literary form.