The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

LTS

I was up at LTS this last Monday. I was kindly invited to preach to the students at the beginning of their new year of study. They were all there with the principal, vice-principal and a few others. I preached on Ecclesiastes 10:10 and you can find the sermon here. We do wish them well in their studies.
I had also been in LTS the week before at the annual meeting where those of us involved in the seminary mentoring scheme gather to swap notes (Chris Bennett, Mostyn Roberts, Chris Hawthrone, Andrew Murray, etc, etc). The current assignments have not been made yet. I was also involved just before that in a successful interview for a late applicant. NB They have Stuart Olyott preaching there on September 27 and Dr Grant Gordon is there on October 11. It's all going on.
PS Do you like the logo complete with its own subliminal message?

1 comment:

Jonathan Hunt said...

Not very subtle for a subliminal message. I have to say I'd love to obey it though.