The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Jane Eyre

Eleri and I went to see the new version of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre last night and I thought it was pretty amazing. Obviously the novel (despite its anti-evangelical bias, its Romanticism and downright mystical bent) is brilliant. This screenplay is very well done. The casting is almost perfect (an uglier more Yorkshire like Rochester would have suited me). Every scene shot is done with breathtaking beauty. The use of the bleak moors, the meteorological observance of the pathetic fallacy, the tempo, the attention to detail, the excellent and well judged music - it is all done very well. The acting is brilliant. I hate the way everyone goes on about how brilliant Judi Dench is but what can you do? In this she is simply brilliant. At one point she says nothing just looks and you know she just has it.
It all reminded me of how much I enjoyed some of those Merchant Ivory films of the late eighties and early nineties. I'd love to see the team on Wuthering heights, much harder to pull off I would guess.

No comments: