The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hear him carefully

I was slightly disappointed with this new 143 page biography of the veteran evangelist as it almost completely lacks analysis or any criticism whatsoever.  Rather, it simply catalogues the evangelistic travels and publishing story of a very successful evangelist under God indeed. I understand the laudable aim of the book but in the end to read of "masterful and comprehensive" (73) "a brilliant defence" (78) "a superb booklet" (96) "the best talk I have heard" (97) so often becomes a little wearing. Brian Edwards travel book for Day One is a better place to turn. There is also a reference to the Grove Theatre in Aberystwyth on page 99 - not a place I am aware of. 

No comments: