The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 5 2012


Yesterday was a little different in that I was listening rather than preaching - a useful thing to do from time to time. (Pleased to sit next to my wife for a change but she was on Sunday School so it didn't last). LTS student Andrew Lolley was preaching on Jonah 1. I preached in the evening on the buried treasure adn the pearl of great price. We began the day at the communion table. I quoted Horatius Bonar who wrote that the communion should strengthen our faith, display the truth and nourish our souls. Two or three visitors in, all believers.

No comments: