The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 28 2013

We were all sobered yesterday to think of the tragic death in Madagascar. We were a good number and there were quite a few there who haven't been for a while for one reason or another. We had a particularly large Nigerian contingent (at least 16) and nine children went through to Sunday School. In the morning we came into 1 Corinthians 3 and the matter of spiritual immaturity. I've preached through the book once before but I feel like I'm newly exploring what Paul is saying and seeing it so much more clearly. I think the congregation is with me. Our evening congregations are always smaller. We looked at Numbers 31:1-24 and the day of judgement.

No comments: