The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Things seen #94

We haven't had a "things seen" for a while but I was in Golders Green recently when I heard a car hooter go. I turned to see what the issue was. I saw an old man shambling across the road against the red light. Reaching the other side of the road where did he go but into the betting shop.
It reminded me of conversations I used to have with my old dad about gambling. He was a keen though moderate gambler (I've often thought that if all gamblers were as moderate as my dad was it wouldn't be the problem it is). Those conversations would always include my dad saying "life's a gamble" or "crossing the road's a gamble". On the latter point I always used to feel it all depends on how you cross the road. The way this old man crossed was all of a piece with him entering the betting shop, going on to lose his shirt no doubt.

No comments: