The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 10 2016

We had a very good day in Childs Hill yesterday. Some Sundays, you just feel that the people have been praying for the preaching and it all seems to come together. It seemed that way yesterday even though it was disappointing that people were missing, especially in the evening. My parents in law are around at present so it was nice to have them present along with two distinguished men en route to the Banner Conference in Leicester (one who runs a publishing house in Romania and one a trustee from America). We had lunch together and the turn out was good and that is always fun. I forgot to arrange to interview someone as I often do. I should have been more organised.
I preached from Revelation 18, on Babylon again, in the evening and on the priesthood of all believers in the evening, beginning with 1 Peter 2 but covering many Scriptures in what was really a twelve point sermon (though I tried to disguise the fact).

No comments: