The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, April 24 2016

Preparing two sermons for the Lord's Day is always demanding how ever long you have been at it and some week's you think you're not going to make it. Last week was a bit like that but we got there eventually. We looked at the second part of Revelation 19 in the morning and did the last in the short series on the Priesthood of all believers in the evening. Things went well. Our LTS types were away again but the congregation was swollen with visitors especially in the evening when we were up to thirty present, including a "character" from the area who I have mentioned before and made one of his rare visits. I was leading in prayer and praying for the area when I thought I smelt tobacco. When I opened my eyes there was my friend at the front. In the morning I gave a former Muslim friend a chance to report on gospel work in Paris. We had a bumper size Sunday School - almost in double figures. A really good day.

No comments: