The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

La La Land


We went to see the famous La La Land this week. My wife was talking about this film well before all the hype and the Oscar nominations. I went only because of all the talk about it. One of my sons came too.
I was a little sceptical knowing it is a romantic musical but it kept my attention and made me think and I enjoyed the score (chiefly jazz). I don't ask much more of a film than that to be honest. As to why this is such a successful film I have no real idea. The dancing and the singing are okay no more, the acting fine. The story is fairly predictable in some ways but with a post-modern twist. It helps you to think through again this whole matter of talent and desires and celebrity and God's providence. It's nice to be an old person watching it rather than a young one still wondering quite how it is all going to pan out. Not that I don't struggle still with the whole matter of using one's gifts and the temptation to simply do what is popular. At least the opening question of the Shorter Catechism (What is man's chief end?) and its wonderful answer (To glorify him and enjoy him forever) gives us all a head start on that one.
The film is a 12A because one of the main characters swears a bit. he film would be better without the irrelevant swearing. One fears that film makers don't like a U certificate because people will think it is just for kids.
The film was good but we all thought one of the highlights was when a little group wandered into the cinema and sat down only to realise they were in front of the wrong screen. Poor show on the part of Vue Cinemas.

2 comments:

witelite said...

I get the impression, like so many I have heard recently, that it was simply not up to much overall! In contrast we found 'Lion' a very moving and emotional account of a true story, one which appears to reflect the plight of a number of poor orphans in India and possibly other parts of the world, to be worthwhile!

Anonymous said...

Lion is on our list (with Jackie and Hacksaw Ridge). LLL is okay but does suffer from the weight of expectation now on it.