The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting Wednesday February 1 2017

We were 11 again last Wednesday, back to some sort of normality. I spent the day preparing and by the time of the meeting I was really excited. We started on the Book of Leviticus. It is one of the few books I have not preached on in my time here and I am sorry in someways that I have not started on it sooner. There is nothing to compare with getting into a new book and preaching it especially when you have help from people like Philp Eveson, John Currid and Gordon Wenham, something that would not have been the case when I began as a pastor. So it was the matter of the burnt offering and how it points to Christ followed by questions and our usual time of prayer. There seem to be many encouragements at the present besides the usual discouragements.
Here's a thing - it happens sometimes that you learn something as you preach. In my notes I had written about putting your hands on the animal. Actually the text only mentions one hand. It struck me at the time that you probably needed the other hand to steady the animal. I notice that the Talmud speaks of two hands between the horns.(Both hands are to be used with the scapegoat).

No comments: