The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 29 2017

Last Lord's Day was very encouraging, chiefly because we had good numbers including people who have come before returning and people who I know were up late the night before but still made the effort to be there in the morning. I was also encouraged by the response to an English conversation class I have arranged to start this week. One problem we currently have is a number of people coming whose English is not really quite good enough to get as much from the sermons as I would wish.
I preached from Galatians 5 in the morning and Matthew 12 in the evening, carrying on with our series. I am rather sceptical about modern day demon possession so people wanted to talk about that. the fact Satan is bound and can deceive the nations no longer is a favourite theme with me but some would not have heard me on it.

No comments: