Some 65 foods from the UK have gained PGI (Protected Geographical Indication) or PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status from the EU. Here are some from Wales
1. Welsh beef (PGI 2002) Limited to products from cattle born and reared in Wales. Products must come from cattle that have not bred.
2. Welsh lamb (PGI 2003) Limited to products that are produced from lambs born and reared in Wales.
3. Carmarthen Ham (PGI 2016) Limited to hams cured in the Carmarthen areas as designated on a map.
4. Pembrokeshire early potatoes/earlies (PGI 2013) Limited to potatoes grown in Pembrokeshire. The product must be planted in early February and harvested between May and late July.
5. West Wales coracle caught salmon (PGI 2013) Limited to Atlantic salmon that have been caught in specific tidal areas of the Rivers Tywi, the Taf and Teifi. Products must be caught using traditional coracle fishing methods.
6. Anglesey sea salt/Halen Môn (PDO 2014) Limited to sea salt prepared, processed and produced in the Menai Strait, using traditional methods.
7. Welsh wine (PDO 2011) Limited to wine produced in Wales from grapes grown in the designated area, using prescribed methods. Products must use grapes from vines growing at a height below 220 m above sea level. The product may be vinified outside of the designated area provided it is contiguous to Wales and prior authorisation has been granted from the FSA. The product must conform to restrictions regarding alcohol content, acidification and sweetening.
8. Welsh regional wine (PGI 2011) Limited to wine produced from grapes grown in Wales, although production does not have to be within a certain area. The product must conform to restrictions regarding alcohol content, acidification and sweetening.
9. Laverbread (PDO 2017) Must be made from Welsh Laver (seaweed) gathered or plucked from the coastline of Wales and must be processed within the country of Wales. All the specific steps in its production must take place in the designated area ie collection, washing and draining, cooking, mincing or chopping, etc, including packaging where required.
10. Conwy mussels (PDO 2015) Limited to mussels caught within a designated area within the Conwy Estuary using the traditional method of hand raking.