The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Library Lecture on Anne Steele


There was another chance to give my lecture on Anne Steele this week - at the Evangelical Library over the lunch time. We had a decent turn out and I was able to get over the story (you can hear the Bulkington version here). I hope to put a transcript of the lecture on the Evangelical Library website very soon. She is a fascinating subject and her hymns are well worth checking out. My headings - Stories, Setting, Scene, Strict Baptists, Schooldays, Sicknesses, Sylvan repose, Social circle/supporters, Spirituality, Suffering, Success, Spiritual songs, Sadnesses.

No comments: