The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 14 2017


My, it was packed on Sunday morning. That is always encouraging. Most were regulars though it was nice to have a visit from a holidaying pastor and his wife who we first met many years ago and our American friend on his world tour who came last week returned (Mom and daughter were under the weather sadly). When he said what church he belonged to in the States I was concerned but I need to get more info. We also had a lady turn up after we had finished. She was invited along by a new member of the congregation. I gave her a Bible and urged her to read Luke or Mark. She wanted to know about the Book of Enoch (I guess that is a Da Vinci Code thing - I read today that OXFAM have told stores not to accept any more copies of that book to sell as they have too many already!).
Sunday evening was preceded by tea. We were a more select group by then. I preached on why Jesus spoke in Parables from Matthew 13, having looked at the importance of prayer from Acts 4 in the morning.

No comments: