The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 14 2018


As is often the case it was "a game of two halves" last Lord's Day in terms of turn out. We had a good number in the morning but by the evening for various reasons we were barely into double figures. In the morning I preached from the first half of Acts 11 and in the evening, following tea together in the parlour, from Matthew 16:5-12 warning against false teachers. It is an interesting question as to whether one should name names in sermons. I decided to do so and had T D Jakes, Creflo Dollar, Joyce Meyer and the Pope in my firing sights. I hope it helped. At least one person present was nervous about attacking Ms Meyer.

No comments: