The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 21 2018


I thought we might be down in numbers as two were preaching, one couple were visiting another church, two have flu and three have left us recently. As it turned out these were all away plus at least eight more I expected to see. Nevertheless, there were a number of visitors (someone new to the area klooking for a Reformed church, an RC Filipina from Spain, an African born Greek invited by one of my deacons and a Chinese Christian dog sitting for a relative). I was glad that my first sermon point was that like the church in Antioch we should be welcoming to all. We were in Acts 11 and the wonderful description of the Antioch church there. We were with one of my deacons for lunchwhch was nice. In the evening at communion I welcomed into membership the former Muslim I baptised near the end of last year. I preached on Matthew 16:13-20 to a decent sized congregation. They all sat on one side of the church which made it look better. At the end of the morning service a local chaaracter fropped in. He embarrassed a member of the congregation asking her to roll his cogarette for him. I was busy helping someone who feared they had blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Busy day.

2 comments:

Robert S. said...

A good and varied day. I did wonder though about the Chinese Christian dog, sitting for a relative.

Gary Brady said...

You obviously know what klooking means then.