The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 28 2018


A day of two halves once again. Loads in, in the morning, including a Spanish speaking family (three generations) and a Ghanaian lady who, despite myself, I expect to see again plus loads of others and some missing as ever. Two members were back who have been ill for weeks. So seven for the children's talk (we are on prayer at the moment). I preached most of Acts 12. Then in the evening we were down to a bare 10 as we looked at taking up the cross and following Christ. I enjoyed bothe services. Brilliant hymns in the evening (Immortal honours, Sometimes a light, etc).My wife glimpsed and address list of church members for 2015. We have lost 15 members (by death, transfer or desertion) since then (half the membership) and gained only five new ones. Tough days.

No comments: