The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting May 30 2018


With visitors last night we were twelve altogether. We carried on in Genesis with Genesis 17, which is, of course, a crucial chapter. I am always a bit nervou when we come to dealing with covenants as I find some of the subject a little difficult. I read so much by Presbyterians I fear I'll fall nto the trap of saying something dodgy. I read Dale Ralph Davis on the chapter and a thrid of the way through he annoucnes that Baptists can look away now. The only problen I saw with what he said was the fundamental one of when baptism shoud take place. He appears alos to duck the question of what we make of Abraham laughing. Despite stacks of commentary to the contrary I think it must have been a bad thing. Anyway, I spoke, we gathered stakcs of material for prayer adn then prayed for 20 minutes. Encouraging time.

No comments: