The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day June 9 Herne Bay Evangelical


We were in Herne Bay last weekend. My friend Keith Hoare has been pastor of Herne Bay Evangelical Church for the last 11 years. It was the church's anniversary and so we went down on the Saturday and had a nice (though rather wet) day with Keith and Janice (both Aber graduates and contemporaries of mine) and their son David. On the Lord's Day I preached in the morning from Acts 16. We then had lunch together and after that I spoke about John Cennick. For the evening service they made an early start (4.30 pm) and I preached on Daniel 6. It was all a tiny bit heavy on my part but okay and appears to have been appreciated. It is quite an elderly congregation but with some signs of growth. Quite full Sunday morning and 16 in the evening. Lovely day.

No comments: